Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Grandma From Adams Park

Last night I went with Mike to a wedding rehearsal and the dinner that followed. As a pastor, he is usually invited to rehearsal dinners. I didn't know anyone in the wedding party but I went along as Mike's date. It isn't always my favorite thing because I feel awkward, but I usually end up having a good time. Also, my friend, Celia, was related to the groom so I was hoping she'd be there as well.



At the dinner the groom started introducing us to his family. One lady came rushing forward saying, "You're the grandma from Adams Park!" I must say, no one has ever called me that before! It took me a second but I realized she was the other grandma from Adams Park.


Last Saturday I took my granddaughters to the park, remember? Well, she was that little boy's grandma and we'd visited for about an hour that day. Toward the end of our time at the park, our daughter Maria came to meet us and she also met the lady. Her grandson had run up and given Maria a hug that day, much to his grandmother's surprise. She had told us that he never gives hugs.

Last night, as I visited with her, I learned more. I saw my friend, Celia, arriving. I asked the other grandma if she knew Celia and her husband. Well, indeed she did! She was my friend's sister! There's more to it than that! My granddaughters live in the house where the other grandma, and Celia, grew up!

To be honest, I didn't really even want to go last night. I had gotten up at 4:30 yesterday and an evening of relaxing sounded pretty good. But see, I had a delightful time and learned all these cool little connections.

5 comments:

Allen said...

Small world in Casper Wyoming, or where ever you, or I happen to be

Unknown said...

It really is a small, small world, isn't it?! Glad your night turned out to be better than expected!

Michelle said...

Very cool story.

Mom said...

Amazing!

Sue said...

Yes indeed!

Featured Post

My Life as a Travel Agent

On a recent morning I was at work and as one of my patients was waiting for his death, I thought again about an idea that keeps popping int...