Thursday, February 20, 2014

Muffin Panic!

Yesterday I told you about Sam getting his first place. This is Sam and his roommate, Kai, along with Maria, looking around their new living room. This photo did not turn out very well but I wanted to post it to document the moment as best I could. 
I remember another emotion that comes with a kid moving out. Panic! I briefly panicked, wondering what we've forgotten to teach him. I was wondering if he'd want one of my muffin pans. Then, I remembered that I had never taught him how to make muffins! Oh no! What if he wants to have a muffin party? What if he wakes up one morning and has a serious muffin craving? Oh no! Poor Sam! His mother has let him down!
Wait.

Breathe.

Suddenly I remembered my Mom's sassy remark when I was about the same age Sam is now. I asked her why she hadn't taught me more about cooking. My Mom is a great cook and I suspect she actually enjoys it. She never made me do much of it during my years at home. I guess I didn't volunteer to do it either. When I asked her that question, though, she had a good answer. She said something like, "What do you mean? I taught you how to read and I gave you a cookbook!?"

Good point, Mom, good point. I guess Sam can probably make muffins if he wishes. In case I forget to tell him, though, I hope he reads this important message: USE PAPER MUFFIN CUPS AND SPRAY THEM WITH AN OIL SPRAY BEFORE FILLING THE CUPS WITH THE BATTER. There. Maybe now I can sleep tonight.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good answer, Mom! How is it they always have the best comebacks? :)

MJ, A to Z Challenge Co-Host
Writing Tips
Effectively Human
Lots of Crochet Stitches


Allen said...

Good thing about your EMPTY NEST is that 2 are in town and the two bread grand daughters are also in town.GOD bless you all and Sam make the best of it.

Susan said...

I know, she's great!

Sue said...

Yes, Allen, I do not take that for granted! And the one who is not here, although I miss him, I'm proud he is making a nice life for himself.

Mom said...

Your father may have had something to do with your lack of cooking opportunities. He said he'd already been through my learning to cook and he didn't want to do it again. He had a point. When we married I knew how to make 3 bean salad, lemon meringue pie and little else. After a couple of days he brought home a chicken. A whole chicken. I had to take it home to mother to show me how to cut it up and fry it.

Susie said...

Wow! I don't believe I knew that!

I just read your comment to Mike and he said, "And I'm the one who paid the price."

Mike may have to cook his own supper tonight.

Featured Post

My Life as a Travel Agent

On a recent morning I was at work and as one of my patients was waiting for his death, I thought again about an idea that keeps popping int...