Friday, October 04, 2013

Crack, Snap and BOOM!

Well, what a day we've had!

I got up at 3:30 a.m. and stood by our front window to survey the snow that was accumulating, as well as the limbs that had fallen. While standing there I was frightened by a crack, snap and boom as a branch broke and part of it landed on the roof just up from the window where I stood. This photo was taken hours later as it was still dark when that occurred, but you get the idea. It was startling at 3:30 a.m!

I knew I needed to get up by 5:00 so I went back to bed and tried to calm down and get some more rest. I tried, I really did, but I kept hearing distant cracks, snacks and booms. Then, I heard one that was not-so-distant. In fact, it was right over our heads. That window is our bedroom and our bed is right under the window. Again, this photo was taken hours later. It wasn't that bad but usually that branch is way, way up in the sky.

I tried to go to work but I didn't make it very far. I was dodging around tree limbs down in the road but after going under two very low power lines I started getting nervous and went back home.

As the sun came up, we saw more and more damage.

We also found our garage covered in limbs.

Sam's car had taken some hits. 

And our yard pretty much looked like a snow bomb had exploded. 

 Every time I went outside I heard more cracks and snaps and booms.

 It sounded so eery out there!

This tree in our front yard usually turns so bright gold that it seems to light up our living room. I've always loved that! This year, though, it didn't even get a chance to change colors. Much of it is on the ground. Also, a lot of broken limbs are caught on other branches still, waiting to crash down.

Mike got up on the garage to relieve some of the weight before it went through the roof. It made me rather nervous but he was careful. He'd saw off bits and throw them down. I'd gather them, lop off some of the smaller limbs and move them aside.  The whole time we'd keep hearing more cracks and booms from our trees as well as those of our neighbors.

Maria and Eric and their girls came over for the day as they did not have power. It gets cold quickly! Eric helped get started on some of the clean up, including climbing on our roof to push off some of the big limbs up there. Thanks, Eric! Click here to see what's going on at their place.

We actually had a rather enjoyable day, despite mourning the damage done to our trees. Maria and the girls helped make it less sad. Our yard is just one of hundreds that are such a mess. It will be a long time before we get all the rubble cleared out but we kept our power, have no holes through our roof and no one fell off the roof! That is the most important part of this day. 

Eric also picked up my camera and took a bunch of photos of the little girls that turned out really well. I will share them, maybe tomorrow. I just don't want them posted with all of these pictures of destruction. It just doesn't go well. You get that, don't you?

Today was one for the record books in this town. Mike Seidel, of The Weather Channel, broadcast from just a mile or two from our house. That really isn't a good thing, is it? Nevertheless, it was our claim to fame on this sadly memorable day.

Stay warm and dry everyone!

1 comment:

Sarah Purdy said...

Holy smokes! Glad you and the family are all ok and that there wasn't any damage to the roof. I'm sure once this snow melts, we'll be able to see even more damage. It's going to be a long weekend of cleaning up for sure. How is Sam's car?

Featured Post

My Life as a Travel Agent

On a recent morning I was at work and as one of my patients was waiting for his death, I thought again about an idea that keeps popping int...