Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Sweet and Salty

Don't you just love sweet and salty as a food combination? It is such a perfect marriage of tastes. Mike knows that if I eat something very sweet, I'm likely to need some potato chips to go with it. That's why some cookie recipes that I saw on Pinterest practically shouted out my name! I had to have them!

I didn't exactly use the recipes as written. If you know me, you know that is no surprise. I can tackle a recipe with only two ingredients, such as these, and still manage to change them up a bit. This time was no different.

The first recipe called for Ritz Crackers and full size Rolos. I found mini Rolos and found them to be perfect. They were NOT individually wrapped, which saved a lot of time.

The second recipe called for pretzels and Hershey Hugs. I saw the Hershey Kisses with Amonds as well as the Hershey Kisses with Caramel but no Hugs... no worries....improvise is my middle name! (Not really. My middle name is Ann.)


I preheated the oven to 250 degrees. I didn't bother going back to Pinterest to see what heat was recommended. I probably would have done my own thing anyway. So, first, I started with the pretzels. I added the Kisses with Almonds on some and the Kisses with Caramel on others. I know it sounds kind of whiny but I will admit that unwrapping all those little Kisses got to be a bit tedious.


But I finally got the job done.


I popped the cookie sheet into the oven for only about 4 minutes. Trust me, you don't want to let it melt all the way or you'll have a big mess. Even I knew that. I just wanted the Kisses to get soft enough so that I could moosh the lid on successfully.  When they look shiny and limp, they are just right to top.


I found that the ones with almonds didn't look as pretty because the bulky almond kind of got in the way.
 It turns out that almonds don't melt or moosh. 
They tasted great, though!


The ones with the caramel Kisses were perfect. I bet you wish you could eat one of these right now, don't you?


Next, I turned to the Ritz Crackers. Because I'd found the bag of Rolos that weren't individually wrapped, these were super simple. I decided it was important to be sure that the salty side of each cracker be on the outside of the sandwiched cookie. It only makes sense, really, for your mouth to better experience the salt.
I think I melted these maybe only 3 minutes.


As you see, they were just barely melting when I took them out. I topped them with a second cracker, just giving a little twist as I added the "lid" in order to smear the little Rolo all around the cracker.  Yummmm!


Then, I couldn't stop! 
I tried some with Rolos on the Pretzels.


They were my favorite combo for ease and taste.
You just couldn't make a better little treat!
They were pretty messy, though.
I found that letting them cool and then putting the whole pan in the fridge for a bit was the best way to handle them, taking them off the pan after the chocolate and caramel kind of hardened again.

I then tried the Kisses on the Ritz Crackers. 
Also good and much neater. 

If you are making cookies to take somewhere (I was taking them to church) you might find my last combination to be the best. I used Ritz Crackers with the Rolos (easier) and topped with the pretzels (saltier). That was really good and looked kind of fancy.


There were no left-overs!

Next time, I hope I can find a bag of the Hugs, too,
as I think that will be pretty with the white oozing out.

Sweet and salty..... mmmmmmm good!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Finding that balance between sweet and salt is always a challenge, isn't it! I'm sure I've consumed a lot of extra calories over the years trying to reach that magic place where the balance came out just right.

(And I love potato chips and ice cream--so I rarely keep either in my house these days.)

Rachel said...

I made the ritz crackers and rolo's recently from Pinterest. They were just too good! I'll have to try them with the pretzels next time!

Featured Post

My Life as a Travel Agent

On a recent morning I was at work and as one of my patients was waiting for his death, I thought again about an idea that keeps popping int...