Friday, July 06, 2012

Seeing Red

Before we begin, maybe I'd better provide a disclaimer.  This is kind of a nurse post.  You may as well know, nurses are not always appropriate.  It isn't our fault.  We are trained that way.


Nurses have to chart EVERYTHING about their patients.  We chart a lot about potty and poop.  I know, it's personal.  Have you ever been hospitalized? Well, I don't want to creep you out but somewhere there is likely a chart about how much you urinated and how many bowel movements (bm) you had.  Sometimes there is even descriptions regarding size, color, consistency.  I'm not kidding.  

Are you getting nervous?  If so, feel free to quit reading right now.  I don't want to damage anyone.

OK.  Anyone still reading?

First, let me start with a food review:



These chips are yummy!  Mike & I munched on them on a recent picnic.  The bag contains orange chips made from sweet potatoes.  It also has red chips made from beets.  I was proud of Mike for tasting one of the red chips as he is not a lover of beets.  I DO love beets!  The chips certainly do taste like their originating vegetables so it wasn't a surprise that Mike didn't so much enjoy the beet chips.  I did not mind that Mike gave me all the red chips to eat.  I thought they were delicious!

Several hours after the picnic, long after the taste of the chips were gone from my mouth, I experienced a worrisome symptom.  I wasn't sure what to make of the red color in the toilet bowl.  Surmising I likely had bladder cancer I am just glad that I hadn't already made a doctor's appointment.  Yep.  Once the beets were through my system everything returned to normal.

7 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Hahaha, been there and done that! Freaked me out just a bit...eventually decided what it was and that I wasn't going to die.

Terra chips are my favorites! Have a bag of them in the house right now. Yum!

EJN said...

Susan,
Your post made me laugh! My friend is a nurse and was telling me the other night she went home concerned that one of her patients was in pain and hadn't had a bm. Bless you. That is certainly the nit and grit of life. On colorted chips -I do so like sweet potatoe chips, my husband tried and DOES not like them. Anyway, I don't usually buy them anymore because that means over a series of days I'd eat the whole bag...which would make me feel bad at my culinary choices so I indulge at parties... and enjoyed this post.
Have a great day!
Jojo

Emily said...

Ha! That's funny! Glad you are ok. ;)

Lisa said...

I had no idea that the nurses were watching my bowel habits when I've been in the hospital. Next time I have to be in the hospital, I am going to be sooo self conscious.

Onlythemanager said...

Anne Maria, thanks for the admission. Glad I am not the only one!

EJN, what do you mean you'd eat the whole bag over a series of days? I'd have to say I could do it over a series of HOURS!

Thanks, Emily!

Lisa, try not to think about it! :-)

Maria Rose said...

Oh my....at least you didn't eat asparagus too.

AKM said...

Bwahaha! I LOVE those chips! I never, um, noticed that they might do that, though. ;-)

(Glad we can laugh now. That WOULD be a scary thing to see at first.)

Featured Post

My Life as a Travel Agent

On a recent morning I was at work and as one of my patients was waiting for his death, I thought again about an idea that keeps popping int...