Monday, January 23, 2012

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Have you seen Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close?  Mike and I went on Saturday afternoon, even though the reviews in the paper weren't all that great.  Because of that, I wasn't expecting much.  I do usually enjoy Sandra Bullock's movies, though, and Tom Hanks is probably my favorite male actor.  That seemed like a good start.  As it turned out, right from the start I was fascinated.

I highly recommend this movie if you find people interesting at all!  Yes, it is about a boy who loses his dad on 9/11 so a box of tissue is a good idea.  I used up the only tissue I could find and the napkin I'd picked up with my popcorn wasn't really up to the task.  At the very least, stuff several in your pockets.  I cry easily at movies so I used my trick of letting my hair swing forward to cover my face.  Soon, though, I was sure no one would be noticing my tears as everyone else was busy sopping up their own.  Not to worry, though, there are also moments that will make you laugh or at least smile.  This movie certainly covers the painful aspect of separation from loved ones, but it deals with a lot of reconciliation as well.

Having said all that, I also want to tell you that this movie was about much more than 9/11.  Also, Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock were most definitely not the lead characters.  They were great but this movie is about the boy.  The young actor, Thomas Horn, carried most of the movie and he carried it well as a young boy for whom social connections are particularly difficult.  Part of the reason this boy is so close to his Dad is because the boy has a "clinically inconclusive" case of Asperger's.  Because of this, the boy has a difficult time making satisfying connections with other people.  His Dad "gets" him and is ingenious is devising adventures that require his son to speak with others and to face some of his fears.

Throughout the movie this young boy, who feels so "different", discovers that everyone has a story, everyone is somewhat broken and everyone is lovable.  Although the boy does not believe in God or miracles, at the end of the movie I believe he questioned his original beliefs.  Maybe I just read that into it because I wanted to, I'm not sure.

If you want to see a movie that will keep you thinking about it, this may be a good choice for you.  I am planning to take a friend to it this week as I think I need to see it again!

So, there you have it.  That's my review of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.  Now I am off to make some pancakes!






4 comments:

Emily said...

Haha! I was about to write my own post about this movie today. I read the book a few years ago, and I would highly recommend that as well. It goes much deeper into the back story of The Renter, so you really understand him and his quirky ways. Also, the Grandma plays a much bigger role in the book. Oh and the mom already has a male "friend" in the book, so Oskar is upset about this as well and adds to his frustration. I saw the movie yesterday and loved it. You'll have to check out my post and I'll link back to yours as well! :)

Anna said...

I can't wait to see this movie. I love Sandra Bullock and Tom Hanks, but I most look forward to Thomas Horn's performance.

elizabeth said...

i'm going to add this to my list of "to-see" movies - i like to watch all sorts of movies - including ones that make me think. thanks for the review!

Anonymous said...

I want to see that movie, it sounds great. I love both of those actors and I love movies about kids that are uplifting.

Sorry I have not been by in a while...I took a blogging break and started a new blog...long story...but I am back now. Would love if you would stop by my new blog: http://redoaklane.blogspot.com

Featured Post

My Life as a Travel Agent

On a recent morning I was at work and as one of my patients was waiting for his death, I thought again about an idea that keeps popping int...